Boomers are the first generation that grew up watching movies in their homes on television. Today, you can rent all the movies you missed when they first came out at the box office for $1 to $2 each. So, you and your significant other/spouse can have a pretty cheap, yet very romantic date night, all alone in the comfort of your own home. Here are some of the best Boomer Love Story Movies – all of them featuring age 50 or over love interests.
1. Hope Springs – the runaway hit of 2012 starring Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones as a middle-aged couple whose kids are grown and gone and have found themselves a little distanced from each other. What they do to rekindle their romance is at once uncomfortable, touching, and full of “old school” love and courting.
2. Something’s Gotta Give – a romedy (romantic comedy) starring Jack Nicholson as an aging lothario and Diane Keaton as a divorced playwright whose lost herself in the stories and characters she creates. The two of them bump into each other like 2 planets colliding and go full circle from a mutual prickly annoyance to falling head over heels in long lasting love with each other.
3. It’s Complicated – another romedy starring Meryl Streep (the quintessential Boomer love interest) and an unlikely pairing with Alec Baldwin. The two play a divorced couple who suddenly find themselves “booty calling” each other and begin to question if they should have ever divorced. It’s a funny and touching look at the reality of what can happen to people who were long married, then divorced, and realize that not everything was as bad as they thought.
4. The Descendants – an Oscar-worthy sometimes-funny-train-wreck of a love story starring George Clooney. A middle-aged man with grown kids has to deal with the tragedy of his wife suffering a boating accident while on vacation in Hawaii.
5. Nights in Rodanthe – pairing old screen lovers Richard Gere and Diane Lane (Unfaithful) whose characters find each other in this search for self story. Richard Gere plays a burned out doctor whose traveling to see his estranged son. He lands at an inn on the beautiful sea islands of Rodanthe, North Carolina caretaken by Diane Lane for the weekend. She’s there reconsidering her life after her husband had left her for a younger woman and now wants to come back. The hurricane storm that’s heading for Rodanthe and the inn mirrors the storm in both of their lives. They turn to each other for comfort in this life-changing weekend-affair-to-remember.