So lately you’ve been thinking about switching careers or coming out of retirement to start a new one or maybe take on a part-time job. But, at your over-50 age, you’re wondering if anyone will even consider hiring an older worker like yourself. Well, Grandparents.com recently reported on research by Retirement Jobs who revealed that several top Fortune 500 companies have more than a third of their employees who are 50 years and over.
Tim Driver, CEO of Retirement Jobs had this to say about over-50’s job hunting: “If a company has a large proportion of its employees in your demographic, you’re less likely to experience the age-bias that so many Boomers fear in their job search….plus, if you do land a job at one of these companies, there’s a high likelihood that you’ll be comfortable there. These are employers that clearly understand and value and benefits of mature workers.”
Retirement Jobs also has a program, Certified-Age Friendly Employers, that deems over 100 employers as “Boomer friendly”. Polish up your resume because these are companies that actively try to hire/retain employees over 50, and the current percentage of people over 50 they employ.
1. American Airlines: 39 percent
2. Eastman Kodak: 38 percent
3. TravelCenters of America: 38 percent
4. Delta Air Lines: 37 percent
5. United Airlines: 37 percent
6. Weyerhaeuser: 36 percent
7. Edison International: 36 percent
8. Northeast Utilities: 36 percent
9. Smithfield Foods: 35 percent
10. United Services Automobile Association: 35 percent