You may have seen this exercise tool featured on late night infomercials or maybe you’ve even taken a class in it at your local Y. Bodyblading has been around for a few years now, but it’s simple and powerful fitness results never get old. In fact, it’s one fitness routine that can continue to significantly improve your fitness levels as you get older. Let me tell you more about it…
Bodyblading: Simple To Use, Powerful Results
The Bodyblade is the invention of physical therapist Bruce Hymanson and has been in use since 1991. It utilizes vibration energy and inertia training that strengthens the deepest muscular stabilizers of your spine as well as every muscle in your body.
Hymanson developed it for use with his physical therapy patients to create a stable platform from which to do other rehabilitation maneuvers. He found that getting a patient to use the blade allowed for greater rehabilitation gains as it equalized joint and muscle functions, preventing the imbalance of movements and strength that other forms of exercise can.
There are also many other important benefits of exercising with a Bodyblade, especially for older people. Here’s a few:
1. Improved stability – especially pelvic stabilization, which is essential in maintaining mobility and balance.
2. Mimics the movements used in athletic competition. This results in faster moves, improved muscle strength and definition of all muscles, including core, arms, shoulders, pelvis, legs, feet.
3. Integrates group muscle actions of the entire body rather than isolating each as in lifting free weights or doing machine weights. This creates whole body strength.
4. Equalizes strength on both sides of the body and adjusts to your specific size, strength and muscle endurance. Significantly improves hand-eye coordination which can decrease with age. It strengthens both the larger muscles as well as the deeper, smaller, supporting muscles.
5. Greater control – you control the acceleration and intensity of the movement of the blade which improves safety over other equipment that you turn on.
6. Intense aerobic workout – the Bodyblade is an all-in-one fitness tool that allows you to get both an aerobic workout and a resistance/strength building workout at once.
7. Simple to use – it’s a simple blade with a hand-grip guard in the middle. You simply grasp the hand-grip and start to “sway” the blade ends up and down.
8. Convenient – it costs very little compared to other at-home exercise equipment and, as it’s light and only a few feet long, it can be taken with you while traveling.
9. Fast benefits – it doesn’t take long to notice the muscle strengthening results of using the Bodyblade. And, workouts can be done in about 10 minutes. This strengthening continues to grow the more you use the blade.
Using a Bodyblade may be the fitness routine you’ve been looking for. It offers so many benefits in one workout – greater balance, stability, muscle strengthening, cardiovascular strengthening, aerobic/fat burning, greater coordination and more. To try out a Bodyblade workout to see if it’s a good fit for you, you can find classes at your local Y, or other fitness centers. If you like it, and want to continue, you can buy your own Bodyblade for home use. To reach your fitness goals in 2014, getting in some Bodyblade workouts may be just the ticket.
Mark Bromson, M.D.
Bodyblade Fitness, http://www.bodyblade.com/en/about_bodyblade